Chief Financial Officer
Industry: Higher Education
Our higher education client is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee all aspects of the Accounting and Financial department. As a key member of the Executive Team, this executive will assess the University’s financial performance and develop scalable systems, processes, and controls to support the operations and growth. The CFO will also be responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of the University and provide leadership to the administrative, business planning, accounting, and budgeting efforts. This individual will provide the President and Board of Trustees with timely financial strategic advice based on changes in the financial environment to implement effective strategies and tactics to ensure sound financial management. Key responsibilities will also include substantial interaction and analysis of financial metrics and results throughout the campus, including all programs and areas. Transparency of all financial matters is critical in this role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees all aspects of the Accounting and Financial department and will be responsible for a team that produces financial statements, month-end close functions, financial reporting, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Directs all aspects of accounting operations including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, cash-flow, and financial reporting.
- Develops and directs financial strategies, analysis, forecasting, internal controls and budget management on consolidated as well as for all divisional lines and issues.
- Directs all Treasury and Cash Management activities.
- Leads investment oversight of the University’s Endowment Fund through relationship with investment management providers.
- Supports Board Committee relationships, including Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees.
- Partners with President and Leadership Team and develops credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist them in performing their responsibilities. Provides financial input and guidance to the leadership team on critical decisions that affect the growth and development of the University.
- Develops tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the President and makes actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Meets or exceeds target financial results through expense control, cash flow management, and continuous trend analysis and projections.
- Coordinates, prepares, and reviews all quarterly and year-end financial reports.
- Produces financial statements, summaries, and other cost-benefit analytics and financial management reports.
- Ensures compliance with budgets and implements all necessary management tools to control spending.
- Analyzes the financial projections of all current and proposed new programs, providing expertise to impact major operating and strategic decisions.
- Ensures that University assets are adequately protected through active risk profiling and analysis.
- Ensures compliance updates and renewal of contracts and application, particularly the major vendor contracts throughout the campus.
- Manages relationships with company’s external financial associations: accounting firm, insurance brokers, investment management company, and banks.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Be an advisor from a financial perspective on any contracts into which the University may enter.
- Ensures government and regulatory compliance and remains knowledgeable of changes and trends impacting higher education.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related education. MBA is a plus.
- Minimum 10 – 15 years of progressive broad-based financial management and leadership experience.
- Higher education experience not required—high likelihood successful candidate may not have higher education experience but will have operating business experience.
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is preferred.
- Strong understanding of accounting standards and practices.
- Possesses exceptional business acumen and strong thought leadership required in partnering with peers and internal clients.
- Proficiency in computer skills including MS Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word) and accounting related software.
- Demonstrated experience as a “hands-on” financial leader.
- Skilled at developing financial plans, budgets, internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Self-motivated, independent leader.
- Drive continuous process improvements.
- Experience managing teams and developing/coaching people to success.
- High level of integrity, ethics, and commitment to the mission of Alvernia.
Seeking candidates who are committed to excellence of inclusion through working with all constituents of the entire Alvernia community.
Alvernia University is an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values and achieving excellence through diversity and inclusion.
Recruiter contact information:
Many organizations have benefited from outsourcing their HR function, which ultimately has improved their most important resource - their employees! Learn More »
Mosteller & Associates has extensive expertise and experience in both executive and regular compensation. Learn More »
The firm's depth of experience and knowledge in the executive recruiting function enables clients to acquire the right kind of expertise in filling their staffing needs. Learn More »
Mosteller & Associates provides modular based supervisory, management, and leadership development programs along with many stand-alone courses. Learn More »