Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Community Bank
Our client is a nationally chartered, OCC regulated community bank that was originally organized in 1903. The bank has enjoyed strong growth and financial performance since its founding, expanding to its present asset size of over $485 million in total assets and seven retail banking locations in Northumberland and Snyder counties. The bank also has Wealth Management and Trust Services with assets under administration in excess of $150 million.
This position represents an outstanding opportunity for an experienced community-banking professional to join a well-respected organization. The successful candidate must have the experience and capabilities to guide the Finance/Accounting function and serve as a trusted advisor to the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors. As this position will be highly visible in leading the bank, the company may look to this role as a possible successor to the Chief Executive Officer position.
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible to provide strategic leadership in the management of the accounting, cash management, financial reporting and planning, and capital funding functions for the organization in a safe and sound manner designed to meet the bank’s growth objectives.
The individual will also be committed to a high standard of performance and will provide day-to-day financial expertise and support across the organization to support its strategic mission, vision, and goals.
- Partners with the Chief Executive Officer and Executive Management, interacts regularly with the Board of Directors to formulate and implement financial strategies, policies and programs.
- Manages the bank’s finance-related activities, including, Financial Management and Reporting, Planning/Budgeting/Forecasting, Investment Portfolio/Treasury Management, Investor Relations, Capital/Liquidity, Interest Rate Risk Management, Tax Management and Merger & Acquisition Analysis.
- Directly supervises the Finance/Accounting, Information Technology, Information Security, Human Resources and Facilities business units.
- Collaborates with the Vice President/Compliance and Risk Management in the management of the company-wide risk management program.
- Leads the establishment of the annual budget and business plan of the company, including revenue, expense, operating, and capital spending budgets.
- Ensures management accounting tools are being utilized effectively to measure, track, and monitor Product and Product Line Profitability. Works with Department Heads to promote decision-making based on credible information provided by the management accounting function.
- Leads business unit in complying with current regulatory actions, on-going regulations and laws, and company policies and procedures.
- Ensures that the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors are provided accurate, timely, and relevant information on the financial performance of the bank.
- Establishes an optimal capital structure for the bank. Minimizes the cost of capital, while maintaining appropriate regulatory capital ratios and financial flexibility.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management for the Finance/Accounting Group, ensuring that it is properly organized, staffed, developed, motivated and compensated.
- Serves as an active member and participant of various Management Committees such as the Asset/Liability.
- Serves as the point-person with external auditors.
- Works with business unit heads to ensure that they are managing resources effectively and efficiently, and within budget and peer ranges.
- Assumes a visible role in the company’s marketplace through leadership involvement in selected non-profit, economic development, and professional organizations.
Position Candidate Requirements
- At least ten (10) years progressive experience in a CFO or Controller position of a high-performing community bank, with at least five (5) years at the Senior Management level.
- A proven track record of success both as a leader and manager, and an ability to “fit” the culture of the Bank. This individual must be “compatible” with the existing management team, and be able to evolve professionally as the Bank continues to execute its growth strategy.
- Ability to manage the Finance/Accounting group on a day-to-day basis, and influence and build consensus among cross-functional areas to promote a spirit of teamwork and collaboration.
- A strategic thinker with an ability to “see the big picture.” Leverages his or her strategic thinking into an ability to lead Executive Management and the Board of Directors in the planning, controlling, and managing of financial resources toward the achievement of corporate objectives.
- Excellent communicator (verbal/written/presentation) who uses varied techniques to craft messages/presentations to effectively reach audiences and instill confidence and commitment.
- A developer of people who is able to recognize talent and take an active role in their professional growth.
- Ability to interact across all lines of business and all levels of staff and management.
- Strong executive presence and capability to represent the Bank with external constituents.
- Proven experience preparing and presenting reports to the Board of Directors.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment while making decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Well organized, strong administratively, with an ability to lead, direct, and engage employees with a vision for the future.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation.
- Hard-working, goal-oriented, and highly productive. Must be accustomed to “rolling up his/her sleeves” and doing real work; not just a manager or delegator.
- General working knowledge of bank information technology systems, including core processing and business operation interfaces; understands and advocates the use of technology to improve process and efficiency on a continuous basis.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Many organizations have benefited from outsourcing their HR function, which ultimately has improved their most important resource - their employees! Learn More »
Mosteller & Associates has extensive expertise and experience in both executive and regular compensation. Learn More »
The firm's depth of experience and knowledge in the executive recruiting function enables clients to acquire the right kind of expertise in filling their staffing needs. Learn More »
Mosteller & Associates provides modular based supervisory, management, and leadership development programs along with many stand-alone courses. Learn More »